September 1, 2007

Craigslist rocks!

So, I'm having a really sappy moment right now. We are looking for a stroller and don't have a lot of money. Naturally we turn to craigslist and find a plethora of choices. To be able to so freely share phone numbers and emails with strangers is really refreshing in this isolated world we live in today. I just spoke to a woman (a fellow mother) about coming to look at her stroller and we spoke of nap times and car rides. I'm just totally in awe that I can call up someone I don't know and have her completely get me and my challenge with nap scheduling. It's so comforting to know that I am not alone!!! I actually got mildly choked up at the thought that through this online site of bartering I connected with another person. I've also been a huge subscriber to freecycle here in San Diego - truly a place of give and take without any "you scratch my back, I'll scratch yours." I've had the opportunity to help people out with things that they need that I have (and don't need). In the process of bringing some maternity clothes to a women in need I got a chance to sit and visit with her. Ruby got to play with her son and a friend while my new friend and I talked about motherhood and pregnancy. Once again, a random connection of like people who probably never would have met if it weren't for these forums. She now keeps me posted on her pregnancy and I have started a collection box of Ruby's hand-me-downs for her (it's her first girl - with 3 boys). For those of you who know my dream of having a mother-to-mother exchange, you know how rewarding it is for me to connect like this.

No comments: